Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Breathe... 2.... 3....

Breathe...2...3... Breathe...2....3....

The words repeated in my head as I heard the heart tones drop to 90, 80, 70. Part of NRP training the algorithm for PPV flooded into my mind and I prayed it would not be needed. I had long before taught myself to review the routine before each birth and again if heart tones dropped. I said the words again in my mind.

Breathe...2...3... Breathe...2....3....

I stood by the bedside as the baby's head emerged in the caul. The midwife quickly removed the membranes and wiped thick mud-like meconium from the blue baby's face. Her body was limp and I helped her lift the baby to the mother's chest.

Time seemed to slow. I helped clean the baby and avoided stimulating her as the supervising midwife suctioned her airway. Thick meconium secretions were removed as baby slightly opened her eyes. Then they closed. Her midwife called out a heart rate of 90 and dropping. The cord was clamped and  cut.
I lifted the limp, blue baby onto the resuscitation board and turned for the mother to see her baby briefly as I reached with my other hand for the bag and mask being handed to me. I started PPV.

Breathe...2...3... Breathe...2....3....

I said it aloud as I ran to the ambulance with two experienced midwives.

Breathe...2...3... Breathe...2....3....

I continued to provide PPV as one midwife found the heart rate to be 60 and started chest compressions. My rhythm changed to match the "1 and 2 and 3 and breathe and" pattern. "Lord help us!" we prayed aloud! Thankfully baby's heart rate quickly rose again and I reverted to the pattern I had before...

Breathe...2...3... Breathe...2....3....

we were almost at the hospital now... I continued...

Breathe...2...3... Breathe...2....3....

she gasped once then stopped.... "Come on Baby... just breathe!" I cried as I continued...

Breathe...2...3... Breathe...2....3....

I continued as I jumped from the ambulance and rushed inside with the midwives. We ran through the ER to where the doctor immediately accepted us. The nurses and staff took over and SALAMAT SA GINOO! (Thank the Lord!) the baby finally gave another gasp and a weak cry. After ensuring the doctor had been fully informed, we left and returned to the clinic.

The words continue even now to ring through my head. Breathe...2...3... Breathe...2....3.... I am thankful for the training the Lord has provided. I am thankful for His faithfulness and goodness to us. I am thankful that even when the most horrible things happen, I can look to Him for strength as I know He is in control. I have since only heard that baby is breathing on her own. Please pray for precious little Abby (named for her midwife) and her sweet parents (They have been reunited at the hospital). Pray that the doctors will have wisdom and be able to provide appropriate care for her.

 I will update when I hear more!

*Update 6-18-14: I just found out that baby Abby passed away this evening around 5:30pm. Please keep her family and midwife in your prayers. Thank you!


8 comments:

  1. God is so good, even when it is hard. How often ,as we his children, need to be reminded to breathe...2..3.... God is in control, and I am thankful that He is. Also thankful that God is using you in a great and mighty way. Love and Prayers, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that little Abby is breathing on her own. I will pray for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers. Please continue to pray for this family as little Abby did pass away. They could use your prayers!

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry! I will be praying for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I thank you for your prayers! However, due to privacy and confidentiality, I cannot give you the family's name. Thank you for understanding! :)

      Delete
  5. Ok. I was just curious. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem :) Thank you for your prayers!

      Delete