Thursday, April 10, 2014

Continuity of Care

Continuity of care is a huge part of midwifery care. It means the midwife is with the mother, side by side through her journey of pregnancy and birth. Most people associate this with the positive aspects. The midwife is with a woman each step of the way. Their relationship walks through a beautiful birth and is full of smiles.
Most midwives realize that continuity of care goes much deeper. It walks through the bad times as well.
Continuity means holding the hand of the scared young girl as she hears her baby's heart for the first time and knows she was left alone to raise this child.
It means being with that girl as she faces the possibility that her baby will be born with congenital abnormalities.
It means praying for that girl every single day and staying in contact even when she does not reply to left messages.
It means going to be with her as she enters early labor, gently explaining, transporting her to the hospital as the baby's heart is low and staying by her side praying until the doctor arrives (and you are no longer allowed in the room).
I recently had this experience with a dear patient of mine. Thankfully, baby survived. Momma had a cesarean, but both mother and baby seem to be recovering well. I was able to go and visit them this morning with a friend. I am thankful they are both doing alright! My continuity patient was full of smiles and happy that I had come. I was happy too!
I was also reminded of continuity in my devotions.... God provides the best continuity of care for his children. He is always there, he never fails.
 As I read Psalm 147 this morning, verses 4 and 5 stood out to me. "He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names. Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite." Verse 11 also, "The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy."
Continuity is important! I am very thankful for the opportunity to care for women and to use my continuity of care to show them the love Christ has for them. Because one day, I will leave, but He always will remain a source of continual care!

No comments:

Post a Comment