Thursday, November 14, 2013

Learning to laugh....

Let me just start by saying that I love what I do! I love helping these women and sharing with them the love of Christ! However, there are some things that I do not love experiencing.... but memories must be made!
Many of you may know that I have not always been one to laugh when I make an utter fool of myself... and I often am hard on myself.... but I am learning to laugh and let things that don't matter go.... learning being the key word.... Still a work in progress!
This afternoon my friends Laura, Claire, and I went on an outreach where we serve women and girls providing prenatal care and education. The specific outreach I work with mostly helps girls who come to a day center. These girls are "street girls" and come from a variety of situations. Some are educated, others are not. I love talking with these girls and learning what I can about them, though they are often shy and scared to share to much information. Did I mention that I LOVE what God has enabled me to do?
We meet in a little room in this day center. We carry a scale with us and we have them lay on a mat on the floor when we check their baby. It is a fairly small and cramped space, but we love it! Why? Because the Lord gave this opportunity to us to minister to these young women! And as an additional blessing, they just had a fan installed which makes the room much cooler than it was all last year!
Anyway, today we decided to tag team as usual. Laura would check the vitals and the baby while I charted and did paperwork. We are a great team and LOVE our special ministry! Due to the small space, there are only a few chairs. This means I often sit on the floor in the corner, observing, asking questions and charting as needed. Today was no different. I sat with my legs bent, partially extending under the table next to me.
After a while I felt something tickling my foot... just a mosquito I told my self as I tried to brush it away and focus on my charting. Then I felt it crawling and rubbing my leg (remember, under the table beside me)... "just a cockroach... think cockroach" I told myself as I started to shake my leg as inconspicuously as I could... but I knew.... as I felt it start to run up my skirt the flailing increased as I tried not to distract the others in the small room.... Finally after what seemed like forever, but was probably only about 30 seconds my little friend who was becoming much to friendly scampered away to his hole in the wall.... yes, a "little tiny" mouse!
Laura sweetly looked over during my flailing and asked if I were alright...all the girls stared at me.... I managed an "I'm ok" while trying to compose myself and not attract any "shame" to the situation.... After the girls had all left though, I shared with Laura and Claire the events that transpired... we shared a good laugh over it!
I am so thankful for the opportunity I have here, to learn, grow and share.... and if the occasional local critter decides to become a little to personal, well, another story to add to the books.....
I think back to a few years ago and see how much God has grown and changed me.... And I am so very thankful that He did!
 Someone once said "If you can't laugh at yourself, who then can you laugh at".....
Just a quick thought... I am learning to laugh at myself!

1 comment:

  1. I just want to say again, that I am thankful that God has called you there and not me!! :) I am so very proud of you! Love you~ Mom

    ReplyDelete