Sunday, August 25, 2013

Skill #8

My skill for the month of August was... creating a new recipe (or at least, new to me!) from a combination of cabbage rolls and a sauerkraut roll recipe my friend gave me... Toss in the traditional meatball style and voila :)
I made sauerkraut & pork balls...


 They were so DELICIOUS! (All the girls at my house gave their thumbs up approval! So I decided that I would share this wonderful recipe... When I cook though, I often "guestimate" with my amounts, so please adjust as you'd like!
This made enough for 14+ people...

1.5 kilo pork (3 lbs ish)
3 c. uncooked white rice
2 onions chopped
chopped garlic (bout that many cloves)
Salt and Pepper
Other Random Seasonings (I think I added some Cayenne Pepper, Thyme, Tumeric.... Use what you like and what you think smells good with it :D )

2+ Heads of Cabbage
Some Vinegar
Salt
Water

Can of Sauerkraut

*Mix first group of ingredients well 
*Form into meatball size portions... keep in mind that they will swell as the rice cooks! 
*Chop the cabbage into fine strips and place in the bottom of a large pan... I used a Wok...
*Cover the cabbage about 1/2-3/4 with water, add some vinegar (1/2-3/4c? use your judgement) and sprinkle with coarse salt.
*Place the pork balls on the cabbage... the water may rise to the bottom of the balls...the balls should cover the cabbage.
*Evenly cover the layer of pork balls with the Can of Sauerkraut and juice
*Cover and cook on medium-low heat for 1 1/2-2 hours or until the rice is tender and the pork is cooked!
*Serve warm/hot with Mashed potatoes (Or I used squash and potatoes mashed together)
*****ENJOY!!!!!!***************

Any thoughts or comments? Please comment if you have tried this and what you thought about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment