Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Skill #7

Onward time marches! Time for another skill update!

This month I learned how to make....
Ready for it?

Gluten/Dairy/Soy/Egg Free Corn bread...

Maybe it doesn't sound, like a skill, but it took a few attempts and lots of "tweaking" to get pretty nice results (that tend to disappear quickly!). It has a good flavor, but the texture is slightly more crumbly (I presume this is because it has no wheat or gluten in it).


While I was home on break, I was tested for allergies and learned that I should avoid wheat/gluten/eggs/dairy(mainly the whey so I can still eat cheese!-not that it is easily obtained here/is super expensive)/and mushrooms (among many other things). Here in the Philippines I have been doing my best. It isn't extremely difficult, but does require a lot of self control. I do not admit to perfection though... I do allow myself to cheat about once a week (for one meal or treat). So, perhaps more skills to follow will be new recipes or substitutions... I wasn't planning on this avenue for new skills, but when life makes you lemons... learn how to use them!

1 comment:

  1. I like a good corn bread! I might look into finding out if anyone in our family has allergies to gluten. I'm sure more people have it then we think:)

    ReplyDelete