Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Skill #3

Skill #3....
Much thought and debate has gone into what "skill #3" should be... although I have learned many new skills this month they are mostly medical skills that are related to my training to become a midwife and therefore, I will not count them as a part of this project. I have also been away from Davao and visiting a smaller clinic in Tabuk (more in a future post!).....

HOWEVER.....
there is ONE skill that I have found... and completed:
CARIBAO RIDE!!!!!!

First we went on our walk and I was completely focused on getting to ride a  Caribao.. I was determined that the first one that I saw I would ask the owner to ride....
As we continued on our journey to the river (more on that in another post) we saw this older man walking with his caribao... I stopped and asked if I could take his picture. He smiled and nodded.
 I then proceeded to ask if I could please have a ride on his caribao... he looked at me and I pointed from myself, then to his caribao. He then smiled again and nodded that he understood. I did need some help from my companion, Brenda, but finally managed to mount the beast (not as easy as mounting a horse with a saddle :D

The owner was so proud of his beast! He had an added swagger to his step and continued on his merry way! I think he may have taken me to the end of the road if I hadn't stopped him after a few minutes. I thanked him, slid off, and watched him leave with a huge smile on his face and a story for his family!

So what was it like to ride a caribao? Not exactly like a horse.... he was very rotund and his hair was strangely soft for being so bristly... It was FUN!
"Everybody's got a water buffalo. Yours is fast but mine is slow. Oh, where we get them, I don't know, but everybody's got a water buffalo!"-- Must admit that I don't care for Veggie Tales, but this song did get stuck in my head :D

So skill #3 is done..... what is next? Who knows :D I have a few days before April to figure that one out :D Open for suggestions!

2 comments:

  1. WooHoo!!! I wnt to bed last night praying that God would give you the opportunity to do this, and I woke up this morning to find you got to do it! God is so amazing! I am so proud of you! I am blessed beyond words to be your Mom! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. How fun and adventurous! Thanks for the comment on my blog. We have a lot of fun together in school and knowing your mom I am positive you always did also!

    Excited to see you in June :)

    ReplyDelete