Sunday, February 3, 2013

Learning to Listen...

I have been learning a lot recently. One of the lessons that I am learning is learning to listen. We often rush so much that we need to just focus on listening...This is not only learning to listen to the Lord, but learning to listen to others and learning to listen to the mothers I serve. Here is an example of one of those lessons...

Last night I was blessed to be a part of this little baby's birth. His mother was admitted at 1pm as she was 6cm dilated. She labored very well. This was her 3rd baby and she knew what she wanted. "Lai" was very happy and talkative throughout her labor. She chatted about her other two boys and how this baby was also going to be a boy. Her bana was not yet with her because he was at his job, but she didn't know when he would arrive. "Lai" predicted that her baby would wait for his dad to be there, but she didn't always like when her bana was with her because then he saw her face when she was in pain...
Time progressed. "Lai" continued laboring well. After 5pm her bana arrived. She started to want to push, but told me that she was nervous because there wasn't as much pain with this baby. This pain was less and that wasn't normal... was it? "Lai" knew that she wanted to give birth upright on the birth stool because "when I lay on my back it just hurts more and just isn't right for my body".
Here was a woman who listened to her body. I learned a lot by watching her labor and listening to her. She told me how she felt and I was able to show her how to try to relax her muscles instead of tensing them with a contraction- it helped! She labored on the birth ball and tried various laboring positions which helped her labor pains a lot.
After some trial pushing with no progress she labored on her hands and knees to help her become fully dilated. 15 minutes later her water broke... she knew she was ready and we helped her to move back to the birth stool. After only 12 minutes of "pushing"- really pushing only slightly and focusing on breathing- the baby's head fully emerged. As I did a cord check I found a nuchal cord-one loop, no two, no THREE! With some support from the supervisor, the baby was "Somersaulted" (The head was held as the body was birthed in order to allow the cord to unwrap without tightening on his neck) and fully birthed. 6lbs 7oz, her biggest baby yet :D Baby Axel Jacob was born at 6:21pm.
I learned so many things at this birth. I won't bore you with all the details, but will share a few things here. First, I learned that how one expects pain really does effect how they react and how they deal with it. Next, I also much about handling birth situations. Lastly (for here) I learned to trust the mother if she trusts her body.
 By taking the time to listen to "Lai" and have her analyze what her body was doing/needed I was able to help her more effectively. By listening to the supervisor I learned new (to me) techniques and ways to improve myself in birth situations. Also, I continued to learn how to listen!
It was a wonderful birth experience! God is so good to bless me with so many opportunities to see the miracle of birth and to learn so much! Thank you Lord! 

Baby Axel Jacob

5 comments:

  1. Its great when you know your own body and you know how you labor best. Its great that you can and are willing to listen. I have had so many nurses (hospital births) that thought they knew what I should do. I kindly insisted that I'm "used to it" and have my own way that works best for me :) Many women just have no idea and really need the help and suggestions! I'm sure your an awesome help and blessing to SO many! Such an amazing thing you get to get a part of!!!
    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to say that I was soooo happy to see that someone else thinks like we do and if a lady listens to her body during childbirth it USUALLY goes much better.:) I tend to have rather fast births and I always say that it is because I choose to let my body do the work and I remind myself over and over that this is a normal process and just relax. It really helps! Thanks for the reminders. I love reading about what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading the birth stories! God truly is blessing your work and I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with us. Listening... what a hard concept for us women to learn! I enjoy listening to my children. Sometimes a catch myself say yup as I'm moving from one chore to the next and realize that they are more important than folding the laundry. Thank you for your kind reminder to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Learning to just be quiet and listen... a lesson one learns over and over again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true... and I am so thankful for the Lord's patience as I continue to learn this lesson!

      Delete