Friday, November 9, 2012

"I'm sorry"

I am so thankful for the many lessons that I have learned here and continue to learn. I was reminded today of how often we in America try to control things. How often do you say the words "I'm sorry".... In language lessons today we learned about why we shouldn't say "I'm sorry" as much as we would normally in English. Think of the circumstances where we say "I'm sorry"....

    Your friend just lost her father... "I am so sorry"... here, it would be seen as "did you have a reason to be sorry... did you cause his death... why are you apologizing for what life brings..."

    You are doing a procedure and there is pain... "I'm sorry".... are you causing the pain, or is the pain a normal necessary response... why are you apologizing for a normal, howbeit painful, occurance....
 
   I realized that we say the words "I'm sorry" much to often. We are not in control and need not apologize for things that are out of our control. Rather, the proper response here is pasensya na "have patience/bear with me" or  ampo na lang "just pray now". (this is not to say we shouldn't apologize if we are late, or such, but we should take care and not apologize for things that are not in our control)
Just an interesting thought that challenged me... how often do I assume the responsibility for things that are out of my control.... why would I put more on my shoulders than the Lord would give for me to bear?  Just a thought!
"Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." 
~ I Peter 5:7~

No comments:

Post a Comment