Thursday, November 1, 2012

End of a long day....

I sit at the table in the clinic, working figures and equations with friends... training our minds to reason... then we hear it... a high pitched scream... A number of us rush into the stair well where 30 minutes before we had passed a laboring woman climbing up and down the stairs... Thankfully, she wasn't giving birth at that moment, she was just scared and needed help through some contractions... Nancy (who was volunteering on shift with me at the clinic) stayed with her as the rest of us headed back to study....
After finishing our "brain training"  I headed back downstairs to the birth room of the clinic where I was on shift. The supervisor informed me that I was to help bantay (watch) a labor. It was the woman (I should rephrase that as girl) from earlier. She was 18 and very scared. She didn't know to expect this intense of pain. She also had a very low pain tolerance. Nancy and I labored with her for quite some time, teaching her to breathe deeply and relax her body through the contractions.
She was doing wonderfully and was able to breathe through on her own with her bana after a little while. I left the two of them alone and decided to just check fetal heart tones every 15 minutes. However, I was frequently called in because she had bloody show- is it normal?- or she needed to go to the CR- is that ok?etc... They were a great couple to work with though... such a joy!
Around 5pm I went in for another check. She was laboring well on hands and knees. She sat back as I checked the baby's heart... sounded good... I noticed more bloody show and decided to have her lie on her back so I could help her clean up and just assess progress.... as she turned over, I noticed that it wasn't just bloody show, but a whole swatch of hair... "ATE... HEAD VISIBLE!!!!!"
The midwife ran in... she birthed beautifully! At last, she seemed able to focus on the task at hand, scared as she was, she knew the end was near........ here are the results......

First time mom and baby Dreavan

Big boy... 7lbs, 1oz.

Happy, but tired family!

one happy, but tired me and baby Dreavan
PUAH #2, and on top of all that, as I was leaving shift, I was handed two letters from home! Praise the Lord for an amazing end to a long day! God is so good to me.... and I do not say that lightly... I am
SO BLESSED!

3 comments:

  1. its so amazing too here your stores off what theres ladys go thro and what a Blessing you and the rest off your co workers are God is so great too put you were he needs you and you fllow . Im so very proud off you was reading psalms 91 and through off you so offent espical veres 10, 11
    love & prayers Gram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...another great birth story! What a hard and rewarding place to be called :)
    Praying

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise the Lord! Keep up the good work! God loves you and so do I!!! Mom

    ReplyDelete